The main problem of Kashmiri militancy is Islamic radicalization. 95% of Kashmir’s population is Muslim. In 21st century you will find that wherever Muslims are living those areas are never stayed peaceful for long time. If we go into the religious history of Kashmir, then we will find that
- According to Kalhan’s Rajatrangini and Nilmata Purana Kashmir (the Ladakh region) has been one of the most important centres for the spread and development of Buddhism.
- Accounts of patronage of Buddhism by the rulers of Kashmir are found in the Rajatarangini and in the accounts of three Chinese visitors during 630-760 AD to Kashmir.
- Buddhism is generally believed to have become dominant in Kashmir in the time of Emperor Ashoka.
Why Islam is cause of militancy in kashmir?
Quranic verses are hating speech rather than religious text Consider the elements that define hate speech:
- Drawing a distinction between one’s own identity group and those outside it
- Moral comparison based on this distinction
- Devaluation or dehumanization of other groups and the personal superiority of one’s own
- The advocating of different standards of treatment based on identity group membership
- A call to violence against members of other groups
- The Quran plainly tells Muslims that they are a favoured race, while those of other religions are “perverted transgressors”:
- “Ye are the best of peoples, evolved for mankind, enjoining what is right, forbidding what is wrong, and believing in Allah. If only the People of the Book [Christians and Jews] had faith, it were best for them: among them are some who have faith, but most of them are perverted transgressors” (3:110)
- Following Islam became synonyms to violence.
How Indian religion can help to achieve peace in Kashmir?
Indian Religion such as Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism had always promoted peace in the region. These religions never came into conflict with each other on the religious lines. These religions promoted peace and prosperity in the region. We can bring peace in Kashmir in following way
- Incentivizing Indian religion in the region. Giving support and protection to people who want to leave the Islamic faith.
- Adding Indian philosophy in the course curriculum at all level of schooling.
- People who want to leave Kashmir region due to violence should be incentivized.
- Promotion of Buddhist and Hindu ideals in the region can bring peace in the region.
Indian Religion has power to bring peace in any region. Read the following excerpts
The world can not be at peace as long as some people think that they have key to heaven and exclusive rights to heaven. This is largely due to ignorance.
“Once an imam confessed to me, ‘You know Sri Sri Gurudevji,I went to Benaras and studied the Vedas and Upanishads. My intention was to condemn them but when I studied them, I developed an enormous respect for the philosophy of this culture.’ This is to be noted: wherever there is truth,compassion and philosophy, familiarity builds respect not contempt and we have believed this for centuries.”-Shri Shri Ravishankar
I would like to end this with the recollection of one incident. Once President Nixon of the USA went to Japan, where he wanted to meet religious orders. On one side was a Shinto priest and on the other side was a Zen Buddhist monk. So he turned to the Buddhist monk and asked him, ‘What the percentage of Buddhism in Japan?’ The monk responded, ‘80 per cent.’ then he turned to the Shinto priest and asked him, ‘What is the percentage Shintoists in Japan?’ The Shinto priest responded, ‘80 per cent.’ The president got very confused and wondered, ‘How is this possible?’ Both the priests looked at each other and smiled. We have the same thing here India, the Jains, Buddhists and Hindus—we have all been in such a beautiful amalgamation of peaceful coexistence. Shri Shri Ravishankar